The Letters Packet Request is NOW OPEN for Medical (M.D. and D.O.) and Dental (D.M.D. and D.D.S) school applicants for the 2020-2021 application year (i.e., applicants applying in Summer 2020 to begin medical or dental school in Fall 2021). Read through the information on this page then select the yellow “Begin Letters Packet Request” button at the bottom of this page to begin.
What is the Letters Packet?
A “Letters Packet” is a packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by our office for UCF medical and dental school applicants to the medical and dental schools’ centralized application service(s). In this Letters Packet, all of your letters of evaluation (LOEs) will be combined into a single PDF file and submitted to your AMCAS, AACOMAS, or AADSAS. The Letters Packet PDF will include a cover letter, composite assessment form, your individual letters of evaluation, and an autobiography (should you choose to include one). The Letters Packet is a valuable service meant to assist you in your application process, and admissions committees from medical and dental programs have expressed positive feedback on the UCF Letters Packet submissions on behalf of their applicants.
Why use the Letters Packet?
Our Letters Packet is a valuable service to our UCF students and alumni because:
- We store your letters for multiple application cycles (unlike the centralized application services) so if you apply and don’t get accepted, we will still have your letters on file for you to use in a subsequent cycle,
- We work with your letter writers to answer their questions and to ensure your letters include important components such as letterhead and signatures,
- We include a Composite Assessment Form that is compiled from ratings of you by your individual letter writers,
- You are able to include a valuable Autobiography which would not otherwise be included anywhere in your application,
- You can use our Letters Packet webcourse or check-in with us to see which of your letters have been received by our office and which letters are still missing,
- Our office acts as a “bridge” between your letter writers and you because the health professional schools do not want you to have contact with your official letters.
Who is Eligible to Request the Letters Packet?
UCF students and alumni who meet the following criteria are welcome to request a Letters Packet formation:
- Must be applying to medical school via AMCAS or AACOMAS or dental school via AADSAS during the 2020-2021 application cycle for entry in Fall 2021
- Must have completed at least 30 credit hours of academic credit at UCF by the end of Spring 2020
- Must have an overall GPA of 3.0
Recommended Types/Amount of Letters
We suggest that you solicit letters from three (3) populations, for a total of five (5) letters, to be used in your Letters Packet:
- 2 Science Faculty Members (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics)
- 1 Non-Science Member (All Other Disciplines Not Listed Above)
- 2 Character References (Employers, Research Supervisors, Health Professionals, etc.)
Applicants applying to both MD and DO programs may submit up to six (6) total letters, if they wish to exchange an MD letter on their AMCAS for a DO letter on their AACOMAS.
To view the specific letter of evaluation requirements by the Florida medical and dental schools, reference our Florida Medical and Dental Schools – Letter Requirements page. Following the suggested format to five letters listed above will satisfy the letters of evaluation requirements for all Florida medical and dental schools and for the majority of medical and dental schools in the U.S..
How does the Letters Packet process work?
Eligible students/alumni will need to submit a Letters Packet Request via the link at the bottom of this page to start the process of forming their Letters Packet. Once we receive the request, we will 1) request your letters from your letter writers, 2) receive and store your letters from your letters writers, and 3) when all of your letters are received by us, we will electronically upload your Letters Packet to your health professional school centralized application service (i.e., AMCAS, AACOMAS, AADSAS). View How the UCF Letters Packet Works for more details.
Sections of the Letters Packet Request include:
- Letters Packet Instructions
- Letters of Evaluation Request List
Review our 2020-2021 Letters Packet Instruction Manual for more detailed instructions and information.
Deadlines for Submitting a Letters Packet Request
Your goal should be to submit your Letters Packet request to PHPL Advising ASAP. The following zones are designed to encourage you to aim for an early submission date.
- Gold Zone: May 18th, 2020
- Silver Zone: June 15th, 2020
- Bronze Zone: August 3rd, 2020 (FINAL deadline to submit a Letters Packet request)
You will not be able to submit Letters Packet Request to our office after 11:59pm on August 3rd, 2020. Please Note: your actual letters of evaluation from your letter writers can be received after August 3rd; however, you should encourage your letter writers to submit their letters as early as possible. Remember, your Letters Packet will not be uploaded to your application service until after ALL your letters have been received by our office.
Re-Using Letters on File
If you applied or intended to apply to medical or dental school in the past and want to re-apply this cycle, and you submitted a Letters Packet Request to PHPL Advising during a previous application cycle and therefore have existing letters of evaluation already on file in our office that you want to re-use, you must still complete a new Letters Packet Request for the current application cycle. In the Letters of Evaluation Request List section (Page 6) of the Letters Packet Request forms, still include the names and information for ALL of your intended letter writers (including new letter writers and re-used letter writers). Using a drop-down box on the page, you will be asked to indicate which letters should be re-used and which are new letter requests.
Please see the 2020-2021 Letters Packet Instruction Manual for more information on how to indicate you would like to re-use a letter already on file in our office.
How to Indicate Letters Packet Use on Health Professional School Applications
Reference the instructions below for how to indicate that you are using the Letters Packet in the letters section of each of the application systems – AMCAS, AACOMAS, and AADSAS.
- AMCAS Letters Packet Designation Instructions
- AACOMAS Letters Packet Designation Instructions
- AADSAS Letters Packet Designation Instructions
Final Notes & Contact Information
- You will receive an emailed confirmation of your Letters Packet Request after your submission.
- You will be enrolled in the Letters Packet webcourse to monitor the status of your letters once we have processed your request (not automatically when you submit your request).
- After we upload your completed Letters Packet to your application service, you will receive an email from your application service letting you know that your letter from Erin Myszkowski (Director of PHPL Advising) has been received.
If you have questions that are not answered in the 2020-2021 Letters Packet Instruction Manual, please contact our Letters Packet Coordinator, Courtney Martinez, at email@example.com or (407) 823-0101.
NOTE: YOU MUST IDENTIFY ALL OF YOUR INTENDED LETTER WRITERS PRIOR TO YOUR LETTERS PACKET REQUEST SUBMISSION – YOU CANNOT ENTER ONLY 1 OR 2 LETTER WRITERS NOW AND THEN RESUBMIT AFTER RECEIVING PERMISSION FROM YOUR OTHER LETTER WRITERS. SAID DIFFERENTLY, DO NOT SUBMIT YOUR LETTERS PACKET REQUEST UNTIL YOU HAVE RECEIVED PERMISSION FROM ALL OF THE LETTER WRITERS YOU INTEND TO INCLUDE.